Frequently Asked Questions
CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. The idea is that Member Families pay the Farmer at the beginning of the season so that she or he can purchase seed and other growing supplies, with the understanding that the Farmer will provide Member Families with a selection of the harvest over the course of the growing season. In our case, we will be providing vegetables, herbs, and flowers for 20 weeks.
It really depends on how many vegetables you eat. We have some families of four or more who come Every Other Week, and other families of two that come Every Week, and both tell us that they are using their vegetables. If you are vegetarian or eat lots of veggies, you may want to come Every Week. If you are just trying to incorporate some vegetables into your diet, you may decide to come Every Other Week. If you are new to the CSA lifestyle, Every Other Week is probably just fine.
Our members told us that they prefer choosing which vegetables they take home (versus a pre-packed box). So, we offer a Farmers Market-style pickup, and having two different amounts listed for each vegetable would be confusing. Since we harvest the vegetables the same day or the day before pickup, they are extremely fresh. Stored properly, they will last 2 weeks or more, depending on the item. This is why our “half share” is an Every Other Week share, rather than a smaller version of a weekly share.
Yes, you do, to some extent. We know that you and your family may have different needs and preferences than other families, so we give you the option to select the varieties and quantities of vegetables that you need each week, up to a limit. For example, you may get to choose 1 bunch of herbs, and 10 types of herbs will be available. The value of the share is always worth more than what you paid, so you can be sure that you are getting a good value, even if you decide not to take something at all. Of course, we will be encouraging you to try new vegetables, as we will have a wide variety available.
Yes! Exclusively for members, each week, different vegetables will only be available by going into the field and harvesting them yourself! These include peas, beans, cherry tomatoes, tomatillos, mini sweet peppers, hot peppers, pumpkins, gourds, and flowers. We will clearly mark the field, provide you with harvest tools if necessary, and have staff available to help you find and harvest what you need. You and your family will be doing the farm a great favor by harvesting the crops which would otherwise be too labor-intensive.
No! If you do not wish to pay for your share all at once, you can opt to pay in monthly installments. We will use your debit or credit card to make payments once a month, through October 2021. The amount of the payment will depend on which share you choose to purchase, and when you join the CSA. For example, if you join in December 2019, you will have 11 months to make your payments. An Every Other Week Share is $545, divided by 11 = $49.63 a month. If you join in April 2021, you will have 7 months to make payments. An Every Week Share is $1090, divided by 7 = $156 a month.
- Yes! Paying by credit card is an option on our website.
- Yes, you may choose to write a check. Checks are payable to Gwenyn Hill Farm, and mailed to: N130W294 Bryn Drive, Waukesha, WI 53188.
If you need assistance paying for a share, contact the Partner Shares Program. They will contribute 50% of the cost of a share, up to $300, for qualifying families. They can also assist with using SNAP benefits to pay for the remainder of the share. Purchase a share on our website using the “Pay in Installments” option and then “Pay by Check.” Next, contact the Partner Shares Program and tell them you would like a share with Gwenyn Hill Farm. You will need to be able to provide your own transportation to the farm every week.
Yes! The vegetable enterprise of Gwenyn Hill Farm is 100% Certified Organic by MOSA (Midwest Organic Services Association). Everything that we grow is organic, and we grow everything in your share.
- If you have an Every Week Share, you have 4 options. 1. You can reschedule your share by the Sunday of the week you want to make the change. You can move Tuesday to Thursday, or vice versa. 2. You can send a friend or neighbor to pick up your share that week (make sure to tell them to cross your name off the pickup list and bring bags to pack their veggies in). 3. You can ask that your share be donated to the Waukesha Food Pantry on your behalf. 4. You can let us know at least 7 days in advance that you will not be able to pick up your share, and we will refund you $40 for that week’s share. You may do this up to 4 times over the course of the season.
- If you have an Every Other Week Share, please reschedule your share using this form. Schedule changes should be made a week prior to the change you wish to make. That way we can prepare our harvest list for the correct number of members. We harvest your produce fresh, twice a week. Of course, if you would like to send a friend or neighbor to pick up your share, or donate your share to the Waukesha Food Pantry, you have those options as well.
We would really prefer that you reschedule your share if you foresee any issues with picking it up. However, we realize that sometimes, life happens. If you were supposed to pick up on a Tuesday, we will email you and move you to the Thursday pickup. If you are unable to come to the Thursday pickup, you will need to reschedule your pickup for another date.
Good question! The CSA concept is rooted in the fact that, as a member, you will share in the bounty of the harvest, as well as be affected by possible crop failures. Gwenyn Hill Farm is purposefully diversified so that when one crop fails, the others will thrive. With experienced farmers at the helm we build in resilience and prepare well for common pests but sometimes Nature can remind us who is really in control. Much like in any backyard garden, every year is different. Rest assured that we do everything we can to mitigate the risk.
Yes, of course! We will be giving cooking demos and tastings at the pickup each week (COVID-impacted). The weekly newsletter will contain links to download recipes. All of the recipes will be archived on the private Facebook page for CSA members. We also have a recipe collection and two CSA cookbooks for sale.
- Email. Each week, we will send you an email containing the weekly newsletter and links to that week’s recipes. You can email us at: email@example.com
- Text message. If you provide us with a phone number and permission to text you, we will send you out a reminder the day of your pickup.
- Facebook and Instagram. We will post selected content to each of these social media sites regularly. We also maintain a private Facebook page for members. Here you can find our recipe archive, the share contents for the upcoming week, and a community of like-minded individuals learning to cook seasonally.
- Our Website, www.gwenynhillfarm.com is where we post our journal entries.
Have no fear! We are so sure that you are going to love the quality and flavor of these vegetables that we are offering a money-back guarantee, prorated for the number of weeks that you are a member. All we ask is that you give it a chance for at least 8 weeks. It will take some getting used to, and 8 weeks seems like a reasonable amount of time for you and your family to adjust.